William Whitehead was the Scripture Reader for St Philip’s Church which owned the land of Wardsend Cemetery. At his death on 27th April 1910, aged 72, Whitehead had been in this role for 38 years as well as the Superintendent of the Sunday School for over 30 years. During this time he had become a respected member of the church community.
Outside the St Philips Church, Whitehead helped to establish the Sheffield branch of the Ancient Order of Foresters, a group that helped its members with their financial welfare. He also became a member of the Executive Council when the High Court came to Sheffield in the 1880, and too served as a trustee of the Sheffield and Hallamshire Foresters’ Investments Association for over 20 years.
To honour Whitehead’s death, his previous church played Gounod’s “Dead March” the day before his death was announced in local newspapers.
Whitehead shares his grave with his wife ‘invalid’ Elizabeth who died in 1911, aged 75.
Sheffield Telegraph, ‘The Late Mr. W. Whitehead: A Veteran Sheffield Scripture Reader’, 2/5/1910
Profile Researched by Beth Keever
Profile Written by Miriam Emanuel