George Beaumont


George Beaumont worked as a steel forger, who resided in Owlerton. He was born around 1854, and died at the age of 23 on Christmas Day 1877. He enjoyed playing football, and was a member of the Owlerton Broughton Football Club.

On Christmas Day, along with his brother James and other friends, George Beaumont was playing football on a field that at the time was used by the contemporary St. Philip’s Club. However, when retrieving a ball, he climbed a wall and fell to his death on the other side.

This was reported on in Sheffield’s Star and Daily Times on 27th December 1877, you can read a large extract from that paper below.

“He was a very tall man. Henry James Ollerenshaw of Fowler Street, stone mason, said he knew the deceased was a member of with himself of the Walkley and Owlerton Football Club. They were playing in a match against the St Phillip’s on Christmas Day in a field adjoining Dark Lane. There was a quarry in the field from which it was separated by a stone wall.

In the course of the game, the ball was kicked over the wall and into the quarry and the deceased, who did not know of the difference in the level between the quarry and the field at this part, ran and jumped on to the top of the wall. One or two of the stones gave way and he fell into the quarry, a distance of between sixty and eighty feet. Even had the wall been firm, the impetus with which he jumped would, in the witness’s opinion, have carried him over. He was found by a party of the players lying insensible in the quarry, slightly on his right side.

He was removed to the house of Mr. Hurd, where he received medical attendance and died the same day. The field was that used by the players of the St. Phillip’s Club and the club to which the deceased belonged were strangers to it. The wall fencing the quarry was about a yard in height. Joseph Toyne of Industry Street said that he was acting as umpire between the two clubs. The deceased had been over before after the ball, but in that place, there was a strip of ground between the wall and the edge of the quarry whereon to alight. Where he met with his death, the quarry came close under the wall. In all probability, the deceased supposed that there was a ledge between the wall and the edge of the quarry.

The Coroner said there was no doubt that the death in this case was accidental; but it was a question whether this field was a proper place to play football in. The Foreman (Mr. George Martin) said he did not regard it as a proper place for strangers and suggested that notice should be given to the owners of the quarry to heighten the boundary wall.”


Later other Beaumonts were buried with George, including Charlotte, and his brother James (mentioned above)


The Star and Daily Times, 27th December 1877

Site visit by Tom Gidlow and Miriam Emanuel, 14/02/2017

Profile Researched by Friends of Wardsend Cemetery

Profile Written by Tom Gidlow